How to get a Free Top Level Domain Name for a Website or Blog
This post is about how to get a free top-level domain name for your website or blog.
Have you ever wanted to have a website for your business or set up a blog and have been thinking of the whole cost of setting it up? This free domain name offer is one of the ways to reduce costs.
How to get a free top-level domain name for your website or blog is by subscribing to one of the best web hosting companies that offer it for free as part of the hosting plan package. Such web hosting sites that give this offer are Bluehost, Namecheap, Hostgator, and Hostinger.
Of course, getting a domain name ( such as .com) will cost you at least $9 on Godaddy and $5+ on Namecheap. So domains are not free, but when you see an offer, it is best to grab it.
Hence, in this post, I will discuss,
- Firstly, what is a Top-level domain?
- How to get a free domain from the best web hosting sites
- The pros and cons
- And tips on how to choose the right web hosting.
What is a Top-Level Domain
A Top-level domain (TLD) is the last part of every domain name after the ‘dot’ symbol. For example, in “google.com”, ‘google’ is the domain name, and ‘.com’ is the TLD.
Top-level domains are of 2 types namely, generic TLDs and country-specific TLDs. Examples of generic TLDs are ‘.com’, ‘.org’ and ‘.ai’. While country-specific TLDs can be ‘.com.ng’, ‘.co.uk’, ‘.au’ and so on.
Normally, you would buy your domain name from a registrar company such as Godaddy, or Namecheap and ‘.ng’ or ‘.com.ng’ from sites like domainkingng.com.
For a domain name to be active on the web, there is a need to buy a web hosting plan. This is why web hosting companies also sell domain names with their hosting plans, sometimes free for a year period.
Web hosting Sites to get a Free Top Level Domain Name
Typically, it is web hosting companies that give free domain names. To get one, you have to subscribe to one of their hosting plans.
Of course, not all web hosting companies offer a free top-level domain for new customers. So, some best web hosting sites that offer free domains are:
Note that this free domain name is only valid for a year. After expiration, you will start paying the regular price.
Additionally, it is not a must to accept this offer when buying a web hosting plan, especially when you already have your own domain name.
Below is how to get the free domain name from selected web hosting sites.
How to get Bluehost Free Top-Level Domain Name
Bluehost, founded in 2003, is one of the best web hosting providers and is officially recommended by WordPress. The company has been the top choice for hosting WordPress sites and other sites not powered by WordPress
Bluehost gives a free domain name for a year when you choose from one of its shared hosting plans. Additionally, you get up to a 71% discount, depending on the shared hosting plan you choose when you sign up here
Follow these steps on how to get Bluehost free domain name:
1. Firstly, click this link to the Bluehost site
2. Next, scroll down and choose Shared hosting.
3. Then, choose any of the shared hosting plans. Preferably, Choice Plus
4. On the next page, enter your domain name in the Create a new Domain box and click Next.
5. Thereafter, enter your account information and make a payment.
6. Complete the setup and install WordPress on the cpanel if you want a WordPress site.
Congratulations! The next step is to start designing your website/blog.
In the account plan option below, choose a 3-year plan, if you have the cash. This will save you cost in the long run.
How to get a Free Domain Name on Namecheap
Namecheap is popular for selling domain names at cheaper prices. Later on, the company includes web hosting services.
Like Bluehost, Namecheap also offers a free domain name for a year on shared hosting plans. However, ‘.com’ ‘.biz’ and ‘.co’ are not free, but you get up to 84% discount.
These are the top-level domains available for free on Namecheap depending on the shared hosting plan:
- .tech, .shop, .website, .cloud, .digital
- .fun, online, .press, .pw
- .store, .space, .host, .agency, center
- .live, .studio, .business, .company, .ltd
To get a free domain name and discounts on Namecheap, follow these steps:
1. Firstly, click this link to the Namecheap site
2. Then, choose your web hosting plan
3. Enter your new domain name in the Search for domains box. Next, click Add to Cart.
4. Then, click Confirm Order. You can also add an SSL to secure your site and boost site ranking.
5. Thereafter, fill in the details in Create Account section and proceed to make a payment.
How to get a Free domain on Hostgator
HostGator is another popular and one of the best web hosting providers. The company has been the top choice for hosting different kinds of websites, delivering in terms of speed and performance.
Just like Bluehost, Hostgator offers a free domain name for a year. This offer is for its shared, WordPress and Cloud hosting plans. Also, it is not restricted – ‘.com’, ‘.org’ and others are free.
However, if you cancel your plan before a year period, you will pay a non-refundable domain fee.
Follow these steps to get a free domain name on HostGator:
1. Firstly, click this link to HostGator
2. Then, you can choose the Shared hosting plan.
3. On the next page, enter the domain name you want.
- Choose a Hosting plan and billing cycle
- Create your HostGator account and enter your Billing Info
- Add additional services. it is optional
- Thereafter, proceed to Checkout.
Web Hosting Payment Method
Making payment for your hosting plan on these web hosting sites is very easy. All you need is your debit/credit card or Paypal account.
However, some may experience payment difficulties such as a card decline issue. Nigerian residents also fall into this category due to the current naira card limit for international transactions.
If that is the case, one of these three solutions below will solve it.
- Get a Virtual Dollar Card: Getting a virtual dollar card online is very easy. There are many fintech apps that provide this service such as the Barter app by Flutterwave. After signing up, proceed to create a virtual dollar card and fund it. Note that you will pay a creation fee of $2 for the virtual card.
- Get a Dollar Card from your Bank: You can get a Dollar card by simply visiting your bank branch. Fill out the form, pay the issuance fee which is around $2 and fund the card. Also, note that banks do charge $10 yearly as a Dollar card maintenance fee.
- Use a PayPal Account: You can use your PayPal account to pay for your hosting plan. However, if your card is the issue, it won’t link to your PayPal account. So, the two best methods are either to get a virtual dollar card or a physical dollar card.
Related Post: Barter App by Flutterwave Review
Pros and Cons of a Free Top-Level Domain
When buying a web hosting plan, getting a free domain name has benefits and drawbacks. Below are the pros and cons of a free domain name from web hosting companies
- It is free for a year:
- Less account management
- The renewal price can be high
How to Choose the Right Web Hosting
Choosing the right web hosting is key to your site’s overall performance, especially traffic.
Therefore, good web hosting must be excellent in performance, reliability and speed. These can easily be confirmed by customers’ reviews.
So, consider these important factors when choosing web hosting. Don’t settle for one only because it is cheap.
FAQs on Free Top-Level Domain
No, the free domain is free for a year
Yes, you can transfer your free domain name to another registrar before and after the validity period of a year. However, it cannot be transferred within the first 60 days of the registration period.
No, you get the free domain name when you purchase at least a year web hosting plan and not for a monthly plan.
You are the owner of the free domain name the web hosting sites offer you. In fact, if you cancel your subscription within a year, you still retain the ownership although, you will pay a no-refundable fee.
Finally, you have seen the process to get a free domain name. This free domain name belongs to you and you can do anything with it. You can use it for your personal blog or a website for your business.
Additionally, you can decide to transfer it to any domain registrar later. It’s all yours!
However, if you prefer to buy your domain name separately, buy cheaply at Namecheap. Use promo code 98DOTCOM at the checkout to get $0.98 for the first year when you register for 2 years.
Do you need help or have questions? please comment below or contact me.
Some of the posts you may find helpful
Leave a Comment